13455 S. Harrell's Ferry Rd
Baton Rouge, LA 70816
8 to 10 Weeks Before
- Select an agent to perform your move and make arrangements for moving day. (Avoid peak periods for moving, if possible. The first few days and the last few days of the month are times when everyone wants to move.)
- Contact the chamber of commerce or visitor's bureaus in your new community for information on your new city.
- Contact the IRS and/or your accountant for information on what moving expenses may be tax-deductible.
- Remove items from your attic, basement, storage shed, etc.
- Start to use up things you can't move, such as frozen foods and cleaning supplies.
4 to 6 Weeks Before
- Conduct an inventory. Decide what to move and what not to move.
- Make arrangements for your trip (hotel/airline reservations, drive routing, etc.).
- Schedule a moving sale for items you won't move. Donate other items to charitable organizations (ask for a receipt for tax records).
- Arrange for packing. Your North American agent can make these arrangements and provide special packing cartons.
- Gather your personal records: medical, dental, school, birth, baptism, marriage, etc. Send transcripts of your school records in advance to the new school.
- Close local department store and other local charge accounts.
- Arrange with employer to forward tax withholding forms.
- Locate all motor vehicle registration and licensing documents and check the auto licensing requirements for your destination.
- Make arrangements to discontinue (current location) and commence (future location) the following services:
– Newspaper delivery
– Water softener service
– Electricity (check for refund)
– Water service
– Gas service (check for refund)
– Fuel or oil delivery
– Garbage collection
– Diaper service
– Lawn/pool service
– Other household services
- Mail change of address cards to:
– Post office
– Social Security office
– Insurance companies
– Credit cards
– Friends and relatives
– Mail order accounts
2 to 3 Weeks Before
- Fill, transfer and pack prescriptions for family and pets.
- Arrange for shipments of plants and pets. Get immunization records for pets.
- Safely dispose of or give away all flammables (paints, paint removers, etc.) as they will be impossible to move.
The Week Before
- Defrost refrigerator and freezer, plus allow air-drying to prevent mildew. Arrange for disposal of frozen foods (sell, give away, or eat).
- Clean oven.
- Transfer/close checking and savings accounts.
- Drain fuel and oil from lawnmowers and other power equipment.
- Drain garden hoses.
- Pack items to be carried in car. Label "Do Not Move."
- Gather valuables from safe deposit box, drawers, jewelry cases, personal records. Pack safely to take with you.
- Send clothing, draperies, curtains, rugs out for cleaning and leave in wrapping. Take down curtain rods, shelves, TV antenna.
- Have car serviced for trip and have proof of insurance in car.
- Remember to pack a box of the basics you'll need on move-in day (tools, paper products, all-purpose household cleaners, etc.). Be sure to have it loaded last so that it will be first off at your new home.
- Pack suitcases for trip.
- Remove all bed linens.
- Be available to check items on inventory sheet.
- Conduct a last minute walk through with your van operator. Make sure windows are closed, closets empty, lights out and doors locked.
- Be available to check off items on the inventory as they are removed from the van.
- Be present during unloading so that you may direct the placement of your furniture in your new home.
- Check the condition of your belongings. If any items are damaged or missing, note this on the inventory list and report it to your destination agent so they can assist with the handling of details.